I have a non-structural, vertical crack in my foundation.
What is the best solution for me?

CrackMaster Concrete Pro-Series® Flexible Resin Injection is a non-structural solution that fills the void in the concrete from the inside of the basement through to the earth outside. These injections provide a permanent fix and are performed from the inside of the basement to eliminate the need to excavate outside.

I have a horizontal crack in my basement wall. Are these types of cracks serious and what can be done to repair?

The severity of a horizontal crack is different with each crack and there are many factors to consider. Are the walls poured concrete or cinder block? Are they bowed?  Has it shifted (the two sides of the crack are uneven)? 

Each horizontal crack is different and requires a customized approach to the repair and in most cases the involvement of a structural engineer. LETY Construction is a full-service foundation repair company providing structural solutions including epoxy injections (must be augmented by carbon-fiber/Kevlar straps) earth anchors, underpinning and engineered PWF installations.

I have a crack on my foundation and would like to finish my basement. It is not leaking right now – why should I call LETY Construction before I start framing and drywall?

Over time, hairline cracks exposed to moisture can become larger due to the continuous freeze/thaw cycle. When moisture freezes in the crack it expands and can force the crack wider, which can potentially cause it to leak. The most cost-effective and least disruptive time to repair a crack is prior to covering it with studs, insulation and drywall. The best approach in this situation is to be proactive and save yourself any chance of future headaches.

You repaired a crack in our basement last summer and we now plan to sell our house.
What can I tell the new owners about the lifetime warranty?

The limited lifetime warranty is fully transferable to the new owners. All we ask is that we are notified by you, in writing, within 30 days of the transfer.

I’m not sure about the foundation and settlement around my home. What are some of the signs I should look for?

On your home’s exterior, examine for the following warning signs:

  • diagonal (stair-step) cracks in brick wall
  • cracks in the parging and/or stucco that extend above the foundation
  • buckling in the roof-line

On your homes interior you should look for the following:

  • cracks in the drywall – walls or ceilings
  • cracks in the corners
  • cracks in walls above doors and above or below windows
  • door and windows that stick or are hard to open or close
  • uneven floor surface or sloping floor
  • cracks in concrete floors greater than 1/16th of an inch

We are building a new home. I see that code calls for damp-proofing however I have heard this is not the same as waterproofing. Is there a difference?

When it comes to your foundation, waterproofing and damp-proofing are not equal. Damp-proofing products are often referred to as “tar” and are the minimum building code for new construction. Damp-proofing only slows the penetration of soil moisture through the concrete – it has no resistance against water under hydrostatic pressure (which is created every-time it rains). Damp-proofing products are easily broken down by ground water and they do not have the ability to span cracks. When the concrete cracks, so does the damp proofing, therefore providing no protection against water intrusion. Waterproofing a foundation is done by spraying a seamless elastomeric membrane onto the exterior of the foundation wall. An elastomeric membrane stops water from penetrating the concrete, even under hydrostatic pressure. Not only will an elastomeric membrane stop water, it also has the ability to span foundation shrinkage cracks, ensuring your basement is completely protected.